Many power outages are caused by trees and limbs falling on power lines during bad weather, interrupting the continuous electrical service our members have come to expect.
To reduce the potential for outages, Dakota Electric must remove or prune trees growing too close to power lines. Our crews and contractors follow these guidelines when clearing or pruning trees:
- All trees within Dakota Electric’s right-of-way are subject to pruning or removal.
- Trees exceeding a mature height of 15 feet and within 10 feet of a power line are also subject to removal.
- Crews do not prune oak and elm trees during infectious months (April through July) except in emergency situations.
- Crews do not remove tree stumps or diseased wood, but will remove branches hanging over power lines.
- We will notify members when pruning or removing trees.