There is help for members unable to pay their electric bills. In addition to protection from the Minnesota Cold Weather Rule, we work with members to set up a payment plan. Assistance agencies are available to help provide funds for past due bills for qualifying members.
Third Party Notice
You can choose to have Dakota Electric notify someone else, in addition to yourself, that you are in danger of having your service disconnected.
- The third party can be a person or organization such as a friend, relative, church or community agency.
- The designated third party can contact Dakota Electric to make payment schedules for you.
- The third party notice is especially helpful to those who are ill, elderly or live alone.
- The third party IS NOT responsible for payment.
Minnesota Low Income Assistance
The Minnesota Department of Commerce has energy assistance programs and resources available for members struggling to pay their utility bills. The following agencies can also help members who are struggling to pay their utility bills.
- 360 Communities
- Dakota County Employment & Economic Assistance
- Goodhue County Department of Public Welfare
- Three Rivers Community Action, Inc.
- Rice County Social Services
- Scott County Human Services
- Scott-Carver-Dakota CAP Agency
When a household member has been ordered into active duty, for deployment or for a change of duty station, some members find it hard to pay their utility bills. Minnesota law may protect these military personnel from disconnection if they cannot pay their utility bills in full.
How to apply
Call 651-463-6212 to get an application and set up a payment plan. You must keep your payment plan to qualify for protection.
- If your household income is below the state median household income, pay 10 percent of your household’s gross monthly income toward your gas/electric bill; or
- If you receive energy assistance, pay 10 percent of your household’s gross monthly income toward your gas/electric bill; or
- If your household income is above the state median household income, make and keep a payment plan.