The difference between a member-owned cooperative such as Dakota Electric and an investor owned utility is that the same people who purchase electricity from Dakota Electric also own the cooperative. As owners, all members share in Dakota Electric’s profits.
Current capital credit payments
- Dakota Electric has retired capital credits through 1986.
- Each time the board of directors retires capital credits you earned while purchasing electricity from Dakota Electric, you will receive payment.
Unclaimed capital credits
If you were a member between 1978 and 1986 and did not receive a capital credits check, review the unclaimed capital credits list and submit the unclaimed capital credits payment request.
Receiving capital credit checks that do not belong to you
If you receive a capital credits check for a former member that no longer resides at the address, please take the following steps:
- Re-seal the envelope with the check enclosed.
- Write “Not at this address – Return to Sender” on the front of the envelope.
- Place the envelope back in the mail.
- Dakota Electric will attempt to locate the payee.
For more information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org