Dakota Electric’s vegetation management process includes:
- Planned maintenance – including tree pruning or felling.
- Reactive pruning – trimming vegetation with a high or demonstrated risk of interference with power lines.
- Felling trees – cutting down trees inside or outside the right of way that are discovered to be at risk of falling on or otherwise threatening power lines.
- Mowing – maintaining the ground below the right of way.
- Herbicide application – stumps cut to a height of 3 inches or less with an EPA-registered and -approved herbicide applied to control vegetation.
When will tree crews come to my property?
Members are notified six-to-eight weeks before Dakota Electric begins pruning or removing trees in their area. Timing for scheduled maintenance projects depends on the size of the trimming area, workload for the crew and the weather. If you contact tree management to report a tree in the lines affecting your service, Dakota Electric will do its best to resolve the issue as quickly and safely as possible. For more information, or to submit a request to tree management, visit our Contact Tree Management page.