Due to continued hot weather and recent storms, Dakota Electric Association is asking its members to conserve electricity today. Please voluntarily conserve energy use today between noon and 10 p.m.
This is not an energy emergency, and people do not need to turn off air conditioning. Dakota Electric and its power supplier, Great River Energy, are prepared to meet the increased demand and are only asking for voluntary energy reduction.
The following energy saving tips can help reduce electricity use:
- Choose meals that don’t contribute additional heat to the home
- Delay running the dishwasher
- Turn the air conditioner up a couple of degrees (78˚ is a comfortable setting that will conserve energy and save money.)
- Delay washing clothes until after 10 p.m.
- Turn off excess lights and close curtains and draperies