Welcome to the Zoo
- Located on 485 acres in Apple Valley, Minnesota
- Opened to the public in May 1978
- The Zoo is home to over 4,990 animals
- The Zoo has installed efficient lighting and motion sensors on lights which have conserved enough energy to power 103 average US households per year
What else has the Zoo done to be more efficient?
- Their operations department has installed high-efficiency boilers and chillers and premium efficient motors.
- Upgraded to computer-controlled heating, ventilating, and air conditioning systems, by replacing inefficient equipment, and by using active and passive heat recovery systems.
- Their Education Event Center that is built into Russia’s Grizzly Coast is a “green” building, built according to Minnesota Sustainable Building Guidelines and has been awarded LEED certification from the U.S. Green Building Council.
* Information sourced from www.mnzoo.org
Dakota Electric’s Member Appreciation Event
- The member appreciation event has been held at the Minnesota Zoo for 21 years
- The event’s highest recorded attendance was 9,161 members in 2013
- Members gave $12,462.51 in donations and 35,693 pounds of food to local food shelves since 1998