Change habits to save money
- Install and set a programmable thermostat – it could save up to 10% on heating and cooling costs a year.
- Use a fan – set ceiling fans to blow downward during the summer to circulate air rather than lowering the thermostat.
- Per manufacturer recommendation, replace disposable air filters or clean permanent filters at least once a month.
- Close curtains, window shades or blinds early in the day to block direct sunlight.
- Plant trees and shrubs to shade the exterior of the home.
- On hot days, avoid using the oven; cook on the stove, use a microwave oven, or grill outside.
- Keep hot air from leaking into your home – insulate attic and walls, and seal cracks and openings.
- Add caulk or weatherstripping to seal air leaks around leaky doors and windows.
- Insulate and seal ducts – air loss through ducts accounts for about 30% of a cooling-system’s energy consumption.
- Run washers and dryers later in the evening. It will add less heat and humidity to the home. Energy can cost less outside of peak hours.
Heating and Cooling Load Management Programs
Heating and Cooling Rebates
Hot Tubs and Swimming Pool Load Management Programs
Hot Tub and Swimming Pool Rebates